Saturday, February 11, 2012

My First Night Prawning

Went for my first night prawning last Saturday with my friends at Farmart. I'm not really interested in prawning as I thought the rental of the rod is too expensive(2hours for $25) and the wait for the prawns to bite the bait will be extremely boring.

I'm pretty surprised to see around 20-30 people there at 3am. Some had their nets half filled with prawns, I wonder how many hours they had spent. My friends and I managed to find a small spot and quickly start the preparations. Of course, I sit at the side and watch. hahaha

Step 1: Cut the given pig liver into small pieces.

Step 2: Put it on rod and throw the bait to a good spot.

Step 3: Wait patiently for the prawns to bite the bait.

This is a wrong demonstration. Focus on the bait instead of looking anywhere else.


You can talk while waiting but again, keep your eyes on the prawning rod. haha

Step 4: Once the prawn is caught on bait, pull it out of the water.

Step 5: Cutting the prawn's claws
Do be careful that the prawns have long and thin claws

Remove its claws before they clip on tightly to your hands.

Step 6: Remove the prawn from the bait.

Step 7: Put it into the fishing net hanging at the side.



What we did while waiting for the prawns to bite the bait...
You can relax yourself.


Or get into camera wars. For girls, will be camwhoring session.



Do bear in mind that there will always be false alarm where you thought you've caught a prawn.
"eh... i think we've caught one"

"I feel abit of weight on the rod, 中了 中了!!" *filled with excitement*


but when you pull the prawning rod of the water, you may get empty handed. The prawns can be quite smart and scheming. 
"Cheat my feelings. $#^*&%$#^&$" 

Thats the basic steps of prawning. I did managed to catch two or three prawns. I would say that it was pretty fun!! In addition, the approximate time to catch a prawn is around 15mins. That's pretty fast. But of course professionals can do it at a much faster rate.

Our catches within the two hours. Only 10 prawns were caught but thats better than nothing. Didn't get to BBQ the prawns as it was aldy 5am and the shop was closing. Also, somehow I'm abit afraid to eat the prawns. I'm a lover of cereal prawns but I just have the psychological fear of eating the prawns that I've caught so I let my friend to bring the prawns home.

Last note, prawning is fun!! but i still find it expensive. lols!

1 comment:

Kirby said...

wan to go prawning again?